At Bicycle Theory we advise our clients to maintain a social media presence. Even when time is scarce, we firmly believe that even maintaining a minimal presence is an important part of a company’s overall Web strategy.
(1) It’s free – Most platforms are free and setting up a profile can be done in just a few minutes. If you absolutely hate it (or it turns you into a pumpkin), you can delete your account incurring a huge financial loss.
(2) Because everybody else is doing it – If everybody jumped off a cliff would you? Yes, if it’s a short cliff into a captive audience. And double-yes if your competitor’s are doing it and reaping the rewards.
(3) It helps you connect with your audience – The bottom line is – your audience is most likely already using social media. Instead of trying to lure them to you, why not go to them?
(4) It’s a way to engage with a younger audience – Forget just connecting and ‘liking’ and ‘tweeting,’ let’s talk engagement. Social media allows you to interact directly with customers and potential customers – especially younger people that have embraced it as part of their lives.
(5) It compliments the work you’re already doing – You already have to create content to market your brand. So in many respects, hard work is already done! Used appropriately, social media is a great we to publish, distribute, and promote your message in a format that can be shared and spread by others.
(6) It helps you know what others are saying about you – Just because you’re not using social media doesn’t mean people aren’t talking about you. The only way to be aware of (and address) the good and bad things being said about you is to participate.
(7) If you don’t do it, somebody else will – If you don’t have a social media presence, somebody could very well create one for you. Wouldn’t you rather control how and what is being published on behalf of your brand?
(8) It can increase your reach – Word of mouth is the best and most cost-effective method of marketing. If you participate, chances are people will start to take notice and help spread the word.
(9) It connects people with your brand – Bottom line, all brand have a purpose. Social media provides an opportunity to connect people with it. And in the end, isn’t that the whole point?
About Bicycle Theory
Bicycle Theory is a brand marketing company located in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, MN. Bicycle Theory provides strategic and tactical brand marketing services, including Web design and development, Internet marketing, brand strategy, and identity building.